Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Religion vs. Religion

From guest blogger, John.

           Currently, there are twelve classical world religions, including Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism and Zoroastrianism. So which one is right? Most of them have a book written by people, typically under the influence of their respective divine being. Take a Muslim and a Christian. Each believe their god to be the true god, the one who created the universe and everything in it. So which one is right? Are they both right? Are the both wrong? Could they simply be talking about the same being, who’s stories were manipulated by humans to better suit their needs? This argument could work for religions such as Christianity and Islam, which are quite similar. But, what about something like Taoism, which is drastically different from either of them.

I realized early on in my life the only reason myself and 90 percent of the town I lived in was Christian was because it was the only religion I was exposed to. Had I been born in the middle east, I’d much more likely have been raised as a Muslim.  It’s no secret that religion runs in the family. Very few people change their religion, as it’s been ingrained in them all through their childhood. So for sake of argument, let’s assume the religion of Christianity to be the one that got it right. Does then a Muslim go to hell because he was raised to worship a false god? I mean the first commandment is “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

If this were truly one of God’s wills, why would he allow false information and prophets? It creates a double standard. This is just one example of the many flaws of religion. In my opinion it is reasonable to believe in a divine god, but to assume one of the gods in the man made religions is the one true god, is asinine.

No comments: